Effective July 1, 2015, employers in Virginia will be prohibited from requesting usernames and passwords for social media accounts of current employees or applicants. Specifically, Va. Code 40.1-28.7:5 will prohibit employers from:
- Requiring a current or prospective employee to disclose the username and password to his social media account;
- Requiring a current or prospective employee to add an employee, supervisor, or administrator to his list of contacts;
- Using any login information inadvertently obtained to access an employee’s social media account;
- Disciplining an employee for exercising his rights under this section;
- Refusing to hire an applicant for exercising his rights under this section.